So, what's the deal with smoothies?
Why are they good for you?
For starters, smoothies are…
- Chock full of vitamins, enzymes and minerals.
- Easy to digest, which mean optimal assimilation of your nutrients.
- Great for stabilizing blood sugar (you will see each smoothie here has a healthy fat, and fat is key for blood sugar stabilization).
- A fabulous way to consume a variety of different fruits or vegetables at one time.
- Terrific for cleansing the body of toxicity.
- An easy way to add more fiber to your diet for optimal bowel function
Why is blending your smoothie beneficial?
- The health of your body depends on your digestion. When you blend your foods,you are supporting the digestion process. Your body does not have to work so hard to break down the nutrients as they are in a pre-digestible state.
- Did you know that 80% of your energy is spent digesting and assimilating your nutrients? So why not support your body to do less work?
- Instead of having to prepare and eat cup after cup of healthy greens or fruits, you are packing them into one nutrient-dense smoothie.
Choosing a blender:
- Vitamix is a super-powerful blender with a very strong motor that not only can blend smoothies, but also can make nut butters and even soups; however, it is an investment at around $499.
- Blentec is another option similar to Vitamix and costs about $350.
- Nutribullet is an amazing alternative as it costs only $99.
- A blender at Costco, Wal-Mart or Target will typically cost you around $20.
Making the ultimate smoothie:
- Choose the liquid – filtered water, coconut water (raw unheated), a dairy-free milk, herbal tea
- Choose your greens – kale, spinach, parsley, Swiss chard, collards, lettuce, spirulina powder (a complete plant-based protein).
- Choose your fruit – banana, apple, berries, mango and more.
- Choose your fat and protein – hemp seeds, hemp protein, nut butters, avocado,
- coconut oil, flax, chia seeds, rice protein, pea protein.
- Superfoods – maca, raw cacao, bee pollen, shredded coconut, goji berries and
Blend all your ingredients together until desired consistency is reached. Enjoy!