Pumpkin Soup with Apple Croutons
What's low in calories, contains no saturated fats or cholesterol, yet flourishes with rich dietary fiber, anti-oxidants, minerals, vitamins, and tasty pleasures? You guessed it! The pumpkin! Often referred to as a "storehouse of vitamins and flavonoid compounds, it is one of nature's delicious, nutritious gifts. So as you enjoy this guilt-free unbelievably delectable pumpkin soup, remember that pumpkin is often recommended by doctors and dieticians for cholesterol control and weight watching programs. Ready? Set? Soup!
Please refer to our blog for all details about selecting, cleaning, and cooking a pumpkin.
Do not use classic Jack-O-Lantern pumpkin for this recipe; it can be watery and flavor-deficient. Heirloom organic “pie pumpkin” varieties burst with flavor!
- 6-8 pounds of fresh organic pumpkin roasted, seeds and strings removed
- 2 tablespoons of organic unsalted butter
- 3 large organic carrots
- 2 large organic onions
- 4-5 large organic leeks, white and pale-green parts only, halved lengthwise, washed & chopped
- 12 cups vegetable, chicken, or veal stock (Homemade is the best!)
- 2 ½ teaspoons of cinnamon
- 1 ½ teaspoons of freshly grated nutmeg
- ½ cup of maple syrup
Preheat oven to 350. Cut pumpkin into quarters; then roast in a shallow baking dish until tender, about 20-30 minutes. Puree pumpkin in food processor or high-speed blender.
In a large pot, melt butter, and sweat remaining vegetables until just softened (10-12 minutes). Add broth, pumpkin puree, cinnamon, and nutmeg to taste; simmer covered, 40 minutes to infuse flavors. Stir in maple syrup, simmer 5 minutes uncovered. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Puree batches of soup in a blender until smooth. You can transfer soup back to the kettle to reheat and adjust seasonings, if necessary. Enjoy this nutritious, bountiful, and delightful soup!
Always a crowd pleaser...
Apple Crouton Garnish:
- 2-3 Granny Smith apples (or other tart apples), cored and sliced into thin rounds
- ¼ cup of organic coconut palm sugar
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted organic butter, melted
Apple Croutons: Brush a cookie sheet with melted butter. Spread apples in a single layer; then sprinkle with brown sugar. Bake for 20 minutes, or until crispy golden brown. Transfer to rack for cooling. Serve each cup of soup with one or two round apple croutons.